On 22 and 23 June, 2016 the African Subcommission on Vocations Promotion and Formation a meeting at Mzuzu (Malawi), attended by:
- Brother Donatus FORKAN Superior of the West European Province
- Brother Nicolas N’SALE Head of the Subcommission
- Brother Etienne SENE Novice Master
- Brother Léopold GNAMI Scholastics Master
- Brother André SENE representing Brother Pascal, President of the Africa Regional Commission, together with other invited guests from the West European Province in Malawi.
At the meeting, the Subcommission examined all the programmes for the different stages in Formation in Africa, to take stock of progress made, and at the same time to identify the challenges to be addressed.
It then dealt with a number of topical items, of which the most important included:
- The identity and mission of the Religious Brother in the Church (see the document recently published by the Congregation for Institutes of Consecrated Life and Societies of Apostolic Life– CIVCSVA );
- The role of the Brother of Saint John of God today;
- Inculturating Religious Life in Africa;
- Inculturating the Hospitaller Family in Africa.
The subcommission was able to visit the centres and services of the West European Province in Malawi, and expressed satisfaction with the ambitious plan for developing the Order in the country and certainly the birth of new vocations to Hospitality.